Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Memento

Memento
wood, silver paint, metal hinge
3.5" x 3.5" x 3.2"

Full, Angle 2

Full

This sculpture is a reflection of the time spent with my family on Christmas morning. For every Christmas that I can remember, instead of candy or coal in my and my twin sisters' stockings, it was filled to the brim with various assortments of nuts. Macadamia nuts, walnuts, pecans, almonds, hazelnuts, chestnuts, and more would be dumped out on the carpet in the living room before being sorted into neat piles. The shape of the sculpture is smooth and semi-round, depicting the happiness and contentment I associate with the memory. It also somewhat resembles a walnut and can open via a hinge on the back. There is a band of metallic silver encompassing the middle of the wooden sculpture and on the inside where the two sides meet. I wanted to visually communicate where the metal nutcracker would touch the walnut to split it open. Inside, the texture is rough, addressing the frustration that came with not being able to open the nuts half of the time. There are 18 small wooden balls inside, the number being representative of the 18 Christmas' I’ve had with my family. 

In-process

Rachel Breakie

Lenka Clayton

Nina E. Allender

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Natural History of The Senses Relief Sculpture

Overwhelming Confinement spray foam, acrylic paint, glow-in-the-dark paint, chicken wire 36" x 38"' x 10.5" Full, from an...